Thursday, May 24, 2007

Monthly Listening Post - May 2006

With Bonnaroo only three weeks away, this month's listening post is going to be heavy on the bands that are appearing there. Still, this month has seen some highly anticipated releases on my part. Here they are:

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky (I've posted on Stereogum, Jambase, etc. that I think this album is being overlooked in
its so-called "straightforwardness" and "simplicity." Simply, I really like it.)
Feist - The Reminder (Right now, appears to be frontrunner for best album of 2007.)
The National - Boxer
The Black Angels - Passover
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81 (Not quite what I hoped for considering I thought Howl was the best
album of 2005, but it still has some good moments.)

On an unrelated t.v. note (again), I thought that the Gilmore Girls finale was well-done in its subtlety, and it makes me realize how much I'll miss that show. It was so refreshing to see something that had humor but also addressed its audience with a respect and thoughtfulness that too few television shows do. Also, NBC renewed Scrubs for a seventh and probably last season. I may almost have to take back all the bad things I've said about NBC in the past.

No comments: