Friday, May 05, 2006

Some Food for Thought

Felt like posting some non-film related stuff. So here it goes:

1) Carlos Mencia is like that annoying kid in school who would say or do anything to get everybody's attention. He is quite possibly the most overrated (if he is held in any esteem at all) comedian today and his show is childish and simply put, sucks.

2) Josh Ritter's new album is possibly the best album I've heard since Ray LaMontagne's Trouble. If you don't know who he is or his sound, definitely check him out. (This reminds me of last Tuesday's Scrubs where J.D. describes himself as a "sensie", a sensitive guy whose soundtack is acoustic alternative. I think that pretty well describes myself. Josh Ritter fits into this category.)

3) This summer may be the best for concerts in a while. Since it's my last summer of reckless freedom before I have to go into the real world with a real job, I'm going to go to as many as possible. Besides my yearly trek to Bonnaroo, there's the Radio Woodstock Mountain Jam at Hunter Mtn. in upstate NY, there's the Black Crowes/Robert Randolph/Drive-By Truckers, Trey Anastasion & Mike Gordon with the Benevento/Russo Duo and Phil Lesh, Ray LaMontagne/Guster, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and as every summer, the Allman Brothers. Then there's the great lineups at Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits, which I can't afford to go to.

4) The greatest 2 minutes in sports, The Kentucky Derby, is this weekend. I was lucky enough to go the 2001 Derby and have to say there is no sporting event quite like it. I have been around horse racing my entire life (my dad used to own a couple of horses), and while the culture of it may go against my leftist leanings, I still love it. I'll go with a Barbaro/Point Determined/Cause to Believe trifecta. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, just forget all of what I just said.

No comments: