Monday, May 01, 2006

Freak 'n' Roll Into the Fog


The Black Crowes: Freak ‘n’ Roll Into the Fog (director unknown, 2006) [7]
The problem with concert films in the age of digital media is that it has become possible that every band can make their own film for very cheap. While that may be good in that fans can have a keepsake of their favorite band, it has also made the quality of these films very poor. Concert films nowadays aren’t even close to the quality of a film like The Last Waltz or Woodstock. This one isn’t any different, but since The Black Crowes are one of my favorite bands, I’m going to like this. The fact is this is a better constructed film than some of the other direct to DVD concert films that I’ve seen. The continuity of shots and editing are much smoother than I really expected. The real reason I feel this is watchable is the performance of the band itself. I have seen The Crowes twice in the last year and they have never been better as a live act. The one thing this film does is capture a band at their pinnacle as a live act, and you can’t ask for much more than that.

No comments: