Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Warriors


The Warriors (Walter Hill, 1979) [4]
If I was giving this film solely on camp value, the opening twenty minutes would be a 10. However, the rest of the film leaves me feeling I’m missing something, even though I’m not quite sure what it is. I do think the film moves along way too quickly and is almost all action. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, there were some things, mostly the sociological elements of the story, which could have been fleshed out more. I heard the novel this film was based on was more of a social critique and that the film comes across as more of a comic book. There are just so many questions that come out of viewing this film. Most of which is what is the context and back history to explain why New York is overrun with hundreds of eccentric gangs? I know that that this has built up a (mostly male) cult following over the years, but I just don’t get. Is it the violence? Help me out, I really don’t know
.

No comments: