Saturday, January 26, 2008

Monthly Listening Post - January 2008

After getting the best music of 2007 out of the way, it's back to the monthly listening post. The first month of this year is suprisingly busy, with a large number of recommended releases this month. There are some strong albums here but only time will tell where they rank when 2008 is all said and done.

Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark (a return to the prime form of 'The Dirty South' and will surely be a strong contender for best of 2008, even this early.)
Marah - Angels of Destruction!
Cat Power - Jukebox
North Mississippi Allstars - Hernando
The Whigs - Mission Control
The Everybodyfields - Nothing Is Okay

On the film side of things, reviews will be lacking for the next few days as The Useless Film Snob experiences some true fear and loathing in Las Vegas, drinking and gambling myself into a (cashless?) stupor. I hope to have a best of 2007 films list ready soon, or at least a template, as soon as There Will Be Blood plays in Binghamton, which should be next week. There are a few others that I really want to see but I at least want to get a list out there sometime soon. You know, for my ego.

Oh yeah, Coachella's lineup is super weak. Even though I will be in Portland, Oregon by the spring, if Bonnaroo brings it (the early rumors look promising), I'm there.

No comments: