Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's Been a Long Time Since Some Random Thoughts...

but I got to get some things out there:

1) There's been a lot of panning of the new Rilo Kiley album, or at least mixed reviews. Let me go on the record and say for the most part, it's a fairly good album. Older fans may take umbrage that the album is too "mainstream" or whatever other half-assed argument they have, but I find the wide range of sounds there appealing. Granted, not everything is that strong but I'm really digging on "Close Call" and "15." (I know I'm using hippie verbs but some things are too hard to break)

2) The ads on television for the Dane Cook/Jessica Alba cinematic abortion (thanks Stereogum!) that is Good Luck Chuck seem to be nonstop for weeks now. If people getting bit in the balls by penguins and hitting shit a lot is your idea of comedy, this will be right up your alley. Personal declaration: I used to think Dane Cook was funny when I first saw his Comedy Central Presents special but have sense come to my senses. His popularity is one of the reasons why I boycott MySpace.

3) It's getting pretty close to the end of the year and I know everybody is looking forward to my year in review in music (humor me here, I know I'm the only one who visits this site). I said a while ago I thought Feist would take the title but don't count out The National and as a potential sleeper, Okkervil River. But 2007 will still see releases by Band of Horses, Devendra Banhart, and Drive-By Truckers. I've been really trying to keep up with all releases so a comprehensive review will be coming in December.

4) And finally, the Useless Film Snob will be relocating to Portland, Oregon after the new year, which will hopefully mean a more relevant film review site as well as concert reviews and coverage of other stuff that doesn't happen in a cultural backwater like Binghamton, New York. While I'll always have fondness for my hometown and its gradual growth as an arts community, the Snob is looking forward to attending the Portland International Film Festival in February.

No comments: