Thursday, July 05, 2007

Monthly Listening Post - July 2007

Having Bonnaroo on the mind for the whole month of June keeps me from compiling a thorough listening post for that month, so July's is a bit early. On the festival front, it's been announced that Rage Against the Machine will be one of the headliners for Vegoose Halloween weekend in Las Vegas with another rumor from Britain's NME.com saying that Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers will be the other headliners. As someone who's been to both Vegooses so far, I think that rumor's pretty unlikely seeing that there are three headline caliber acts for a two-day festival. Plus, I think the other headliner would have to be from the jamband universe, a la Widespread Panic or maybe The White Stripes seeing how big a crowd they attracted at Bonnaroo. I would be interested in seeing Rage but the other two bands don't interest me at all. That's all beside the point; here are my choices for this month:

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation
Moby Grape - Listen! My Friends (In my opinion, they could have been a legendary band but they got screwed over with crazy marketing by their label and Skip Spence did have a nervous breakdown.)

No comments: