Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Introduction

Since I'm someone with pretty strong opinions in film, I thought the best thing to do was create a blog where I can review the movies that I have seen lately. So if you somehow stumbled upon this site, I welcome you. But before I post, there are a couple ground rules:
  1. Almost all the reviews on this site will be from films I receive through Netflix, which means they are ridiculously late and irrelevant. Since Binghamton has no arthouse theatre, I'm too lazy to drive to Ithaca or Syracuse, and going to the multiplex to see The Man makes me want to vomit, I'll wait for the DVD.
  2. These reviews are meant to be non-academic and hopefully short. But since I used to be a film student, I will occasionally use film terms and theory that make it look like I know what I'm talking about when I do not. If you want someone who can do that smartly and with some humor, check out Michael Sicinski at "The Academic Hack." He was a professor of mine a while back and he has good taste (for the most part).
  3. For the most part I watch only arthouse films: independent, foreign, and occasionally avant-garde (though not as much anymore). If you're looking for a review of Star Wars Episode III, watch Gene Shalit.
  4. All films will be graded on a scale of 1 to 10, one being lowest, ten highest.

No comments: